I've been so curious lately what the heck it means for a product to be labeled "natural" or "organic". Natural seems like it's on everything these days from peanut butter to Cheetos! (I even fell for that one a few years ago, convincing myself that they were healthy).
How does the dictionary define the word natural? Existing in or formed by nature.
And organic? Characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms.
I can't believe what I found when I started poking around the FDA's site about the organic and natural labels. I found this document, entitled "Natural and Organic Foods". This is an excerpt from it explaining the term "natural":
And now organic, what does that mean?
That part is what got to me. I don't think I've ever seen "100% organic" on any label, but I assumed it would be. Well, I guess it's my fault for assuming!
I also recently found out about carrrageenan. It is an ingredient allowed in organic food that has been linked to cancer and other health problems.
I guess the bottom line is this --- know what you are eating and putting into your body. Read all the ingredients and do your research if something looks sketchy or you don't know what it is. Don't count on the FDA to do it for you.
How does the dictionary define the word natural? Existing in or formed by nature.
And organic? Characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms.
I can't believe what I found when I started poking around the FDA's site about the organic and natural labels. I found this document, entitled "Natural and Organic Foods". This is an excerpt from it explaining the term "natural":
Well, I don't think I can even trust the word natural on any product again! It's not regulated (with the exception of meat and poultry), so basically it can be put on anything. Way to go FDA.The term "natural" applies broadly to foods that are minimally processed and free of synthetic preservatives ; artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and other artificial additives ; grow hormones; antibiotics ; hydrogenated oils ; stabilizers ; and emulsifiers . Most foods labeled natural are not subject to government controls beyond the regulations and heath codes that apply to all foods. Exceptions include meat and poultry. The Food Safety and -Inspection Service (FSTS) of the U.S . Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires these to be free of artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives and ingredients that do not occur naturally in the food. Natural meat and poultry must be minimally processed in a method that does not fundamentally alter the raw product . In addition, the label should explain the use of the term natural, e.g ., no artificial ingredients.
And now organic, what does that mean?
Now that's what I expected from organic -- but re-read the last part sentenence. Lets look at Question 8 - How does the certification process work?
"Organic' refers not only to the food itself, but also to how it was produced. Foods labeled organic must be certified tinder die National Organic Program (NOP), which took effect October 21, 2002. They must be grown and processed using organic farming methods that recycle resources and promote biodiversity --- two key elements of environmentally sustainable agriculture . Crops must be grown without using synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes, petroleum-based fertilizers and sewage sludge-based fertilizers . Organic livestock must have access to the outdoors and be given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic foods may not be irradiated. Question 8 of this backgrounder details the certification process.
Products labeled "100 percent organic" must contain only organically produced materials.
Products labeled "organic" must contain at least 95 percent organic ingredients. Products in this or the first category may (but art not required to) display the USDA Organic seal shown an page 2.
Products that contain between 70 arid 95 percent organic ingredients may use the phrase "made with organic ingredients" on the label and may list up to three of the organic ingredients (e .g ., carrots) or food groups (e .g ., vegetables) on the principal display area.
Products with less than 70 percent organic ingredients may not use the term organic other than to identify specific organic ingredients.
That part is what got to me. I don't think I've ever seen "100% organic" on any label, but I assumed it would be. Well, I guess it's my fault for assuming!
I also recently found out about carrrageenan. It is an ingredient allowed in organic food that has been linked to cancer and other health problems.
I guess the bottom line is this --- know what you are eating and putting into your body. Read all the ingredients and do your research if something looks sketchy or you don't know what it is. Don't count on the FDA to do it for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment